Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Alan in training

When I met Al years ago, he decided to be really, really sweet and cook supper for me.

This was quite something for a guy who lived on 2 minute noodles, McDonalds and beer but he borrowed a pot (yes, borrowed) from his mom and got the recipe for his favourite Dutch dish and made it for me. It was potatoes, onion and carrots boiled together and then fried pork cubes. All of this was piled onto a plate and mashed together.

He thought it was fantastic. I had nightmares for weeks afterwards that I was being force fed this concoction as some form of torture.

Since this experiment, Al has excelled in making macaroni, lasagne and a full English breakfast, albeit for supper sometimes :)

His mom told me that she has tried to teach him to cook when he was younger by making each person in their family take turns to cook supper.
When it came to Alan's turn to cook, he would make bread and jam for everyone. I couldn't help but laugh when she told me.

Based on how fast he learns to cook things now, I'm pretty sure that there's a master chef in there somewhere and soon he'll be turning his nose up at my food and begging to make the supper! I can dream, can't I? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment