Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Laughing alone hardly depicts madness

Or at least, I hope not.

I often sit and think about things that have happened and I laugh and laugh and laugh until the tears are rolling down my face and there's nobody else around. I've found it to be better to do this alone as trying to explain what happened or how it looked or sounded in your head doesn't ever come out quite right and you sit looking like a real chop with tears rolling down your face and hardly able to speak from laughter over something seemingly normal.

Today I was sitting and laughing about some of my "escape phone calls" I've had when I would go on dates with new people.
These phone calls were meant to be a possible escape, should I need it.
Most women have these and most men know about them too. In fact, one guy even said to me, when hearing my phone ring, "Is that your "emergency" call?" to which I smiled and replied "Yes, it is." and answered.

What made my calls so funny were the people who phoned me. Never was it a case of "Are you ok? Is he weird? Do you need to run?", it was always a case of something so over the top that it was impossible not to burst out laughing. Now what sort of emergency prompts a person to burst out laughing?!

On one occasion, when I was on a terrible, terrible date with a scarily clingy guy, my cousin phoned me and did her all-too-familiar "HELP!!! FAMILY EMERGENCY!!!" scream into the phone and I packed out laughing and told the guy that I needed to leave as I had a family emergency. He looked very skeptical and said "Then why are you laughing?" to which all I could think of was to say "It's the shock."

One of the most difficult phone calls I've had to keep a straight face through was when one of my friends phoned me and pretended to be totally drunk to the point that he couldn't walk and needed me to carry him to his car!

Before I started with the phone calls, I'd get some of my friends to "spy" on me from a table nearby if I didn't know the guy very well.

This also had it's problems as they'd sit and make loud, hilarious comments or send me texts with comments about my dates taste in clothes or his bald spot or whatever.

One guy seemed to know a lot about women and their phone calls or "spies' and told me that I was welcome to bring my bodyguards and so I did just that, I brought 3 of my lovely female friends with me and we all had a date with him. He had a great sense of humour and he even invited us all for a second date :)

It's not meant to be nasty, it's meant for safety. If you go on a date with someone you don't know that well and it goes sour, you know that someone knows where you are, who you're with and will phone you to make sure you're ok.

I did this when I met Al too and he didn't even realise that we were being followed around by one of my friends. Maybe I should do it again with Alan, just for kicks and have someone phone me and tell me that something ludicrous has happened and that I need to leave right away. He'll probably look at me as if I've lost my marbles and I'll sit in absolute hysterics and will look like a chop.

When life gets boring, it's nice to do silly things so that you have something to laugh at later when life gets boring again.

No comments:

Post a Comment