Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Flowerdew's Beauty Salon

Last week Friday, my mom phoned me and asked me to come to her house because she wanted us to give each other facials. It sounded like such an awesome idea and so I asked if I should bring anything but she insisted that she had everything, I must just pitch up.

Upon arriving there, I found the long plastic table where she sits and does her knitting or sewing or anything really, covered in a blanket and a pillow, and an A4 handwritten sign on the door frame saying "Flowerdew's Beauty salon."
For those who don't know, I loved my gran but I don't know what her and my grandfather were thinking when they named my poor mom Flowerdew Alma Elaine! My mom hates her first name and so everybody calls her Elaine. But we do refer to her as Flowerdew in certain circumstances, where nobody can hear and we want to tease her a little, and so this was funny.

She first scrubbed my face with something so rough it started burning. She even scrubbed the inside of my ears! It turned out to be course salt and maize meal. O.k, so my face was really clean and free of ANY dead skin cells and possibly a few living ones too.

Next came the vitamin E mask which, the fan blowing on my face, dried really, really fast.

She forgot to tone my skin but on we moved to the moisturizer. It smelt familiar...like...peanuts!
"Mom, what smells like peanuts?"
"It's this oil."
"What oil? Cooking oil?"
"No man! Sesame seed oil!"
"On my face?!"
"Yes, it's very good for your skin!"
"Are you sure it's not cooking oil? Like sunflower oil?"
"Yes, man, just keep still! I didn't have moisturizer for your skin, only for wrinkles."

And so she made me promise to keep what I still swear was cooking oil on my face until the next morning, which I did, and it was fine.

It made me feel like a real facial though and so I booked one for February at this amazing place that use amazing products that smell nothing like peanuts!

Nothing beats a proper facial at a real beauty salon but nothing beats the company and atmosphere of Flowerdew's Beauty Salon!

No comments:

Post a Comment